Friday, January 14, 2022

I Love This: BEYOND THE BURNING TEETH by Amanda P.

Beyond the Burning Teeth Cover

I love BEYOND THE BURNING TEETH! It's a 31-page dungeon crawl and adventure setting by Amanda P. designed in a system-neutral way but with handy conversion tables for popular systems. It's fast-paced, evocative, and a locale I would thoroughly enjoy moderating or dungeon-delving. Today I want to share a few things that I think will make it worth your while.

THE MAPS

Holy smokes, there are some fun maps here. The side-cut view of The Burning Teeth dormant volcanic range evokes classic landscape navigation and exploration. The nonlinear path to The Vault sets things up so if I want to really stretch this out for a longer campaign, I could easily populate the rest of the mountain and cavern system with goodies and baddies. Or, if we just want to crawl the dungeon, we can hop in the express lane while still getting plenty of flavor-rich sights to see along the way. 

The map for the Temple Depths is likewise incredibly done. Amanda's got some killer mapmaking chops, and the dungeon map here gives you just enough flavor and illustration without feeling cramped. At a glance, I can get a feel for what's happening in the room, and I imagine if I had parts of it player-facing, the room elements' would act as clever shorthand. Nobody's asking, "Where exactly are the steam showerheads on the wall?" because even though I have never once seen showerheads depicted on a dungeon map, I knew exactly what they were when I read them in the descriptive text. More dungeoneers need to bathe, probably.

THE VIBES!

Early in the zine, there's a 2d6 table (love it already) for the effects of hanging out in the Vault, and all of them made me grimace at the thought of experiencing them in-game, let alone real life. It's not the most extreme body horror imaginable, but that makes it so much creepier! I can roll my eyes/another character easily enough if, like, all my bones explode and my hair turns to centipedes in some kind of Mork Borgian case of the Mondays, but: "Your fingernails have begun to grow, visible if you watch them. It seems hasty." I can feel that in my nail plates, and I do not like it. 

This delicate hand in writing unnerving encounters carries throughout the dungeon. There's a scene of a spar between ash-men that has just enough wrongness to it to make me double-up on my caution and concern for what's coming next. There's an instability in the key foes that rightfully puts me on edge in the best possible way. It's dangerous without being blindly deadly. It's moody without going, "Look at how moody I am!"

THE TACITURN GRIMESMITH!

 He's got a couple little metalmen and I want all three of them to be my best friends.

GO GET IT:

BEYOND THE BURNING TEETH by Amanda P. is available on itch.io and Drive Thru RPG. It's rad and will certainly be fun to use in whole or in part with your TTRPG of choice! 

---

I Love This is an attempt to write some nice things about the nice things I read and see every day. Not so much a review or critique, it's an unabashed good-vibes-only love-fest because that's the sort of thing I want to write and see when I'm writing and seeing! If you like this format (not that I invented "writing nice things") and want to give it a go on your own blog, please let me know and I will be sure to give your post a boost to the best of my ability!

No comments:

Post a Comment

1d12 Encounters in the Riparian Forest

A single alder tree in a clearing, bubbling white mushrooms from its bark. If a pilgrim attempts to eat a mushroom, they must Overcome Frail...